As a Children’s House we support parents to encourage their children to have a love of language. We actively promote a love of words, stories and reading as central to our learning and development plan.
Montessori Language Curriculum
The ‘Communication Skills’ curriculum area aims to develop the four aspects of language:
1) Oral expression, that is, self-expression through the spoken word.
2) Aural ability, that is, listening skills.
3) Writing, that is, self-expression through the written word.
Development of oral expression is achieved through story-telling, songs, poems, drama, vocabulary building, contributing ideas and expressing logical thought. New language is introduced with every activity.
Development of aural ability is achieved through news, response and sounds games e.g. I Spy, sounds in the environment and music.
Development of writing is achieved through early mark making leading to the correct formation of letters; correct positioning of letters, creative writing, spelling and grammar.
Development of reading is based on a progression from phonics to a variety of reading strategies focussed around fluency, meaning, interpretation, speed and enjoyment. Reading with your children, giving books and visiting the library all support this important area.
- Eat with your children - model how to eat and make it a relaxed family time.
- Offer food on the table in bowls, let them serve themselves.
- Try hard not to talk in front of the child about foods they don't like - be really positive and go on offering the offending food.
- Prepare food with them - fruit salad, sandwiches / wraps, mashing bananas etc. They will normally eat what they make.
- Make cleaning up fun - use small sponges and a step to reach the sink.
- Provide a low mirror so your child can wipe their own face.
- Grow some vegetables - even in a small pot. They will eat what they grow.
- and remember..... we all have things we don't like to eat!
We are delighted to announce that our Children's House has recently achieved Outstanding in our Ofsted inspection.
Our staff all trained within our Centre and you too could be working in an outstanding setting. If you are considering becoming a Montessori Teacher please email us for more information about our Diploma incorporating Early Years Educator.
Early Bird discounts available for Full Time September 2016 course.
1.The Montessori Method has been around for over 100 years - the approach works!
2. It fosters and supports independence - children want to ‘do it themselves’ and are encouraged to do so.
3. A friendly attitude towards error - children ask for help when they need it.
4. Responsibility is fostered - for themselves, the environment and their group.
5. The method supports each unique child to reach their own amazing potential!
For more information, come to our free talk 'Independence the Montessori Way' on 29 January at 10am at Bournemouth Montessori Centre, 81 Lansdowne Road, Bournemouth, BH1 1RP - call 01202 780 010 to book your place.
We can also provide information on our Montessori Teacher Training courses!
*Your child will be observed as the unique person he is and given the correct activities for him.
*Your child will be given time to grow and develop at their own pace.
*Your child will be supported to be independent.
*Your child will have his self-esteem supported and protected.
*Your child will have solid foundations laid in all areas of learning for life.
To find out more come to our next talk. These talks are suitable for parents, teachers and prospective parents.
Montessori Teacher Training - reasons to train at BMC:
* Opens the door to new exciting opportunities
* Taught in small groups
* We organise placements for you
* Choose to study over one year or 18 months
* Qualification means you would be able to find work in the UK or abroad.
* You could start your own business, work in any Early Years setting or become a Primary Teaching Assistant - the possibilities are endless....